Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two Places at Once

Ah, to be in two places at once...remember that precious scene from "A Walk to Remember"?

image from here 

Hermione Granger was able to successfully conquer the feat as well - at least temporarily (no pun intended). Today's talk of MuggleNet and such reminded me of her time-turner in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. In order to attend all the classes she wanted to, this stellar student would micro-manage that precious commodity we call time.

image from here

The Internet, too, has allowed me to be in, well, several "places" at once. I'm looking forward to tuning in to at least a small part of the live streaming of Time Out for Women to find out what it's like, perhaps while also watching the BYU basketball game tomorrow night at the same time I am organizing my desk area, which has become a royal mess. (Note: I became aware of this streaming thanks to an email from my Grandma...and to think I ever doubted her digital awareness!)

image from here

But just as the stress of a hectic life became overwhelming for Hermione, sometimes the 55 open tabs on Firefox slow my computer (and my sanity) down as well. And when my husband tells me that often while I'm on my laptop he feels like I'm in a different world, impossible to reach, I have to bring my thoughts and ideas and my whole self back to where my body is physically at. Because as great as it is to have magical multi-tasking capabilities, sometimes it's nice to be just in one place, all in one piece, at peace with myself apart from that always-busy, busy world.


P.S. An interesting development in the Microsoft workplace: "Your robot boss is watching you"

No comments:

Post a Comment