Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

menagerie submission draft

Here is something I've been working on today. Critiques welcome! Now on to my novel segment...:)

no title yet
Two roads diverged
In the springtime.

Through all the seasons I stand at the fork
If I take this left road
Surely it will converge with the right again!
This way
I’ll have it all
Exotic blue lakes
Pearls of great price
Smell the roses, gather popcorn balls
Pin a butterfly to the wall
Catch a falling star and put it in my pocket for
Another day.

But since diverged, this one road has changed to
Two
Even if rejoined in some future
Highway.
A road isn’t like any other
A road isn’t even like
Itself
Because springtime turns into
Summer into
Fall reminds me that the trees along the road are
Ever changing

Okay, then what if  
I run down this road
Then run back really fast and
Take that one
Outsmarting
Time and space and Nature

More traveled?
Less traveled?
It takes me awhile to realize
That all of these other travelers passing me by are
Curiously
Irrelevant.
(No offense.)
“This road is more traveled by” advises one over her shoulder
“This one less” boasts another
That's not something
I particularly care about.

The melting snow forms a puddle beneath me
Reflecting
Someone
With a bird’s eye view
Knows me better

Springtime again
I took a road
And sometime soon
It will make all the difference in
My Piece of
Foreign sky.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem Rebecca! :D I didn't know you were a little poet! :) Love it and you!

    ReplyDelete