Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Digital Sweet Home

Passion, Purpose, Project.

That's what I've been looking for.

Unfortunately, I think I've been tackling these out of order. Lately I've been thinking project, project, project and I think I've lost sight of what I care about. I think that's why I've been stumped and frustrated.

What is it about digital culture that I am passionate about?

The ability it gives us to create, experience, and share BEAUTIFUL and MEANINGFUL things. That is one way digital culture has changed my life- it has exposed me to media that moves me. Such as this:


and this

.

And as I mentioned in a post a couple weeks ago, I find great purpose in using digital tools to strengthen family connections. I think I have been trying to look beyond this corner of digital culture because I feel that is so simple, and perhaps not too original compared to themes others have been exploring. But I think I need to stick with what I am most interested in, provided I am convinced that others care about it, too.

What resources and tools available in our digital culture can help strengthen the family?

I think most parents are already well-aware of many of the dangers that this culture can pose. The negatives are discussed all the time (becoming addicted to anything online, stranger danger, family interactions interrupted with digital interactions, etc.). But what if we created a presentation (via prezi, e-pamphlet, video, etc.) that illustrated all of the good opportunities that digital culture brings to families specifically? I think that kind of resource could be effective for those who are convinced that the digital world is largely negative and may not be able to contribute much to family life (with the exception of family history/genealogy sites;)). I have seen social proof of this in interactions with some of my own family members and I imagine the sentiment is shared by many others, especially withinin the more mature generations.

I have done some research about what is already out there that might be similar to what I'm thinking about creating or might help me as I start my curation creation:
  • SimpleMom has compiled a good list of practical tools for home life in this article
  • I started messing with one of the free sites Google lets you create, a template specifically designed to become a hub for families. The (now-empty) site I created is here- "Digital Sweet Home."
  • There are tons of sites devoted to helping you compile your own personal history. I am really interested in how these work, as I am helping my grandpa to write his history right now. I wasn't planning on using any special software in the actual writing process, but maybe I should look into it.
  • Along the same vein of family record-keeping, digital scrap booking allows families to e-publish or print their pictures and stories from scratch, with ready-made templates, or straight from their blogs. 
  • I touched on this a few weeks ago...but webcams allow family members to see and talk to each other from worlds away through programs like oovoo, skype, and Google hangout...for free! 
  • I briefly mentioned family history above, and I might put it in a category all of its own, but this is a booming, competitive market that tons of families are taking advantage of. youwho is a new site whose launch is being highly anticipated. I happen to know one of the creators of the site and can't wait to see if/how it changes the world of digifamilyhistory! And since we're talking about family history, it was fun seeing my own ancestral tree in colorful fan form. Just sign into your lds account and voila! Genealogy Fan Chart
What would be really cool is if I/we could create an original resource of our own for the family to use. But I'd need a killer idea and some mad programming skills to make that happen. For now, I'll stick to the gathering/curating stage. Then I'll figure out the format to present it in. Of course, this is only an idea! Does anyone think it's worthwhile? (I sure hope so...I am getting excited about this!)



No comments:

Post a Comment